Construction on phase one of the Confederation Line will indeed wrap up this quarter, but the date passengers can start riding Ottawa’s new light-rail transit line remains unknown.
Rideau Transit Group, the consortium constructing the $2.1-billion project, confirmed in a memo released Thursday evening that it would hand the keys to the LRT line to the city before March 31. A specific day for revenue service availability – a date already pushed back multiple times – was not provided.
RSA refers to the “completion of all required works,” the memo states, including delivery of all trains, full development of the line and transit stations as well as safety certifications.
(Sponsored)

Iconic spaces, lasting impressions
The Canadian Museum of History and the Canadian War Museum offer more than beautiful spaces; they provide meaningful settings celebrating heritage, culture and design. An architectural landmark overlooking Parliament Hill

Powered by passion, backed by Ontario Made: Turning bold ideas into entrepreneurial success
Back in the winter of 2018, a brutal cold snap dropped temperatures in Merrickville to -46°C. Michael J. Bainbridge and Brigitte Gall looked outside and told their holiday visitors to
The RSA date is not the day riders will be able to make use of the LRT line – that’s expected to come roughly one month later, after the city has gone through its own tests and staff training on the line.
The LRT line was originally slated for handover on May 24 of last year, but delays primarily blamed on the Rideau sinkhole caused RTG to miss its target. The construction consortium then announced in September that it would also miss the new date, set at the time for this past Nov. 2. Ottawa transit boss John Manconi told city council after the second delay that he expected the LRT to be running in the first quarter of 2019.



