With its distinctive spherical shape and clear glass façade, the Shaw Centre makes an impression on visitors before they even step through its doors. Once inside, a mix of modern meeting rooms and spacious ballrooms with floor-to-ceiling windows provide guests with an intimate meeting space that’s complemented by spectacular views.
For many guests, the most memorable part of an event comes down to small details. That’s why the Shaw Centre offers services like complimentary pashminas when the weather is cool, ballerina flats when meeting planner toes are tired, electronics charging stations and meetings with a view!
But the Shaw Centre also keeps a sharp focus on the big picture and has many leading environmental features, such as a rainwater collection system and a policy of dimming its lights when the sun shines brightly through the facility. It also donates leftover food and materials from events to local and international charities.
Considered one of the city’s architectural icons, the Shaw Centre is home to CrEATe Kitchen, a fully upgraded and interactive kitchen studio used for Chef tastings, wine and food pairing demonstrations, cooking competitions, and receptions. With on-site food and beverage service featuring bold and fresh menu offerings by executive chef Patrick Turcot and his team, the selections and ingredients are locally-sourced, globally-inspired and sure to wow event guests from across the country. Only 20 minutes away from the Ottawa Airport and steps away from restaurants and shops, the Shaw Centre is the hub for events both large and small.
In July 2014, the Shaw Centre finished in a tie for second place for the title of “World’s Best Convention Centre,” an award handed out by the International Association of Congress Centres.
Facts and figures
- 192,000: Total meeting space in sq. ft.
- 57,740: Largest meeting room in sq. ft.
- 28: Number of meeting rooms
- 6,000: Theatre capacity
- 5,000: Reception capacity
- 3,840: Banquet capacity
- Available parking: Onsite
- Daily rental rate: Contact for prices
- Proximity to 730 underground parking spaces
- Walking distance to nearly 6,000 hotel rooms
- 28 modern meeting spaces
- The Shaw Centre has four levels, each with a view of the Rideau Canal and downtown area. The first level features a large lobby, as well as the Wall of Three Rivers artwork, which is made of reclaimed logs and acts as a tribute to Ottawa history.
- Customer service enhancements including pashminas, reading glasses and ballerina flats for guests upon request
- Floor-to-ceiling windows for natural light
- Eco-friendly building
Read the full edition of Meeting in the Capital: